Thursday, January 16, 2014

Perfectly Imperfect

So, I borrowed from an old blog I had that I never really wrote in. I've totally changed this up, but the jist is still the same. This has been on my mind the past couple of days. Lucky you, I am now sharing it! Yay!

"Fault lines should be worn with pride." -Incubus

I have my favorite bands and Incubus is most definitely up there. I hear their music, the poetic way they phrase the most simple of questions/statements, and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Another band that can get this kind of reaction outta me is Muse. Surprise! Now, Matthew Bellamy is one clever and amazingly talented musician. He can write the most profound music and lyrics, then go out and play the piano and guitar with flawless ease. He makes it look as easy as breathing to him…and it very well may be. I’m only slightly VERY in love with him. Maybe that's why I have seen them, I think, seven times in concert. When I hear any of their songs, my heart beats a little bit faster and I get a huge grin on my face…the world just seems right. End cheesey, mushy music moment.

So anyhoozits, I was listening to “Talk Shows On Mute” the other day and it really got me thinking…as Incubus regularly does. That line, “fault lines should be worn with pride,” got stuck in my head and just kinda twirled around in there, marinating. I kept singing it and repeating it over and over again. And, I’ve come to the conclusion that our fault lines (imperfections) should be worn with pride. It’s really sad that we compare so much of what/who we are to what is considered mainstream, normal or cool. We watch the TV, we read the gossip, we see the models and we critique ourselves on those things. When we don’t add up, when we don’t fit in, when we can’t even come close, we go to extremes to make that happen. We become anorexic, we hate our faces, we belittle our own intelligence and our bodies, we become dependent medications/drugs/alcohol/name-your-poison to even us out... and for what? A bunch of heartaches, headaches, and low self esteem? (Side note: this is in no way saying that medications aren't sincerely needed. I'm very pro-medication for the right reasons)

We should celebrate our differences and imperfections. Honestly, this is what makes the world a much more interesting place. It’s sad that we’re so blasted hard on ourselves. I wish that I could say that I’m not included in this, but I’m so very guilty it’s not even funny. Ok, it's a little funny. Just think how wonderful it would be to not care about your flaws or about what makes you different? Wouldn’t it be fabulous if we could be like, “Yeah I’m fat, you’re ugly, he's poor, she’s gorgeous…let’s be friends.” To be able to say that, actually mean it, and not feel self conscious would seriously be ideal. It’s so hard for me to not compare myself to those around me. It’s difficult to not be hard on myself for all the things that I lack. What we need to remember is that there are no rules, no "normal"…well, there shouldn’t be.

I have these talks with my besties all the time. It's so funny because we are always sarcastically saying how awesome we are. It's true. We are awesome. But in that same breath we are wondering why we look this way, I need to lose weight, why can't I find a dude that's as cool as me (hehe), why why why? That girl over there did. So and so got married, why can't I? I mean, who hasn't thought that? We are silly. It's so hard to do, but really we need to concentrate on what's important. Everything else will fall into place after that. However, knowing and doing are two very different kettle of fish. This is something that I will probably have to work on my whole life. Ideally we would just be happy with who we are and to heck with everything else. We need to realize that we are perfectly imperfect, and that's totally fine!

Anyways. I’m done ranting. I’m going on and on and I’m not sure it’s making sense. It’s just some things that were on my mind. They are always on my mind. At times, it consumes my mind. Makes it mush. Makes it hard to focus. Wouldn't it be wonderful to not have to worry? It really would.

So my chickens, let's work on being nicer to ourselves this year. Let's work on being nicer to each other. And, let's celebrate our fault lines and imperfections. All we can do it try, and I say we work on trying!

Hugs and butt pats!

A funny PS: my other favorite line in this song is "I hate to say it, but you're so much more endearing with the sound turned off." Ever been around someone when you feel like this? I have. I'm going to try to be nicer about my thoughts though. :) Work in progress folks, work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment